There is no "i" in "Group"
05th December 2018

I am so lucky to have a husband who not only pulls over to the side of the road when I see something I want to photograph (without questioning as to why), but also does the major work in planning and executing exhibitions.

So when we suggested to our photo group of doing an exhibition in the Stadtmuseum in Hadamar, he was prepared to do the work to make it happen. After a number of rescheduling dates due to conflicts, the final one was set.

That left all of the other issues, like who would participate, how much space was available, how to get their works there, the press, poster design, insurance arrangements, vernissage and so on. All of which Wolf did.

The night before, we drove to the artists building to collect the works of the photographers who couldn't drop them off in Hadamar. Our car was packed!

Saturday morning, we met with the group manager to hang the works. Many dropped theirs off at the prearranged time, to our delight. And we received help in unloading everything from the car, which was very welcomed. After five hours (and a coffee break), everything was hung and packing material stored. Some brought more than was needed/arranged, but we managed to accommodate everyone.

We arrived at the vernissage a half hour before to make sure everything was in order. We walked in the door...

and right into one of the photographers. He yelled that his works weren't displayed as he wanted. After Wolf tried to explain our reasoning for hanging them as we did (which fell on deaf ears), he continued on with his rant. He gave no specific explanation of how he wanted his photos hung (and had many more photos than what was needed), and proceeded to rearrange his photos during the vernissage! After haranguing the group manager about the hanging, the manager gave up his wall space to accommodate the angry person.

We found out later that this wasn't the first time that he's treated people like this. But nevertheless, it was a disappointment for us since Wolf had gone out of his way to previously help him with home engineering problems. I told Wolf that this would be the last time that he will arrange a group exhibition.

I decided to go back to the Stadtmuseum and rearrange my photos to free up space to accommodate the managers photos. While I respect his decision to give up his space, I don't think it fair to have to give in to a bully. This is a group exhibition and everyone else realized the necessity to compromise on the space.

There is no "i" in "group".

Photokina 2018
29th September 2018
Every other year, the excitement builds up as Photokina nears. I've been attending since 2002 and have enjoyed it every time, coming home with bags of catalogs and freebies. As the years have gone by, some exhibitors were never seen again, while others grew smaller. The number of halls that were occupied also shrunk.

But, nevertheless, I still looked forward to the fair and had bought a three day ticket ahead of time.

I loaded the Photokina app on my phone, starring the exhibitors that I wanted to see so I would be sure not to miss anyone. Going through the list, I was disappointed to see a lot of my favorites missing: mostly software providers.

Truth be told, the third day was just spent going through the halls again, since we were able to see everyone that I wanted to see the first two days.

The next Photokina is scheduled for May 8 - 11, 2019. I did see a number of the exhibitors who stated that they would be back next year, while others were noncommittal. But, the Photokina of old, where even a three day ticket was far too little to see it all, is long but gone.
RIP My Hoya Polarizer
31st July 2018
Looking back, I bet the surprised look on my face was priceless. We were at the top of the Baumwipfelpfad Saarschleife in Mettlach, 42 meters high, and I heard something hit the railing in front of me. The first thing was to check my camera and make sure my lens and GPS were still there. Then I looked at my husband with what I'm sure was a blank look of question as to what happened.

"It fell off", he said.

I looked at my camera again and noticed that the circular polarizer was gone. At 42 meters high and with grass and rocks below us, my money was on it hitting the rocks. And I wasn't to be disappointed.

I tend to tighten the polarizers on my lenses before I use the lens and always have done so after previously having one fall off. As I did this time too. But it still fell off.

After we climbed down, we decided to look for the polarizer to satisfy our curiosity. After about 20 minutes, Wolf found it - among the rocks of course - no longer usable.

Luckily, I had a spare at home to replace the poor Hoya.
Back to Top